Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Crumble Coffee Cake

Life is pretty uneventful. Not much is happening around here. Time is flying, though and winter is finally in full swing. Ohh and Chanuka is coming! That's exciting. That and the discovery of dried sour cherries in the shuk.... Otherwise, not much to write home about. Sadly, that's sort of been reflected in my baking. I need fresh new ideas, a new twist on things. I'm lacking baking inspiration. Maybe with two new bags of Semolina flour, I'll get back to bread baking... Until new inspiration hits... I'll just tell you about this coffeecake I made. When I walked into my room Saturday night, I was hit with a request for baked goods. Since the night was young, I made a pan of Peanut Butter Smoothies and upon special request, coffeecake. The coffeecake recipe was taken from KAF. Easy enough to make, this made a large pan full of crumbly goodness. Yum! The cake was a tiny drop blander than the crumble, I think next time I will up the salt a bit as well as the extract factors. Since this made on special request, after the girls gave some money to charity, they locked my door and armed with forks, dug in to the cake as soon as I set it down in front of them. And boy did they dig to their hearts' content. And then they were nauseous :) Anyway, when I walked into my room the next day after school, the remaining half of the cake had completely disappeared, leaving behind just a parchment lined pan and some crumbs. Success! I made this cake in a 9x13 pan and there was a wonderfully thick layer of crumble on top. Totally the best part! As far as being a blank canvas, this cake is. Feel free to add lemon zest or extract, chocolate chips or anything else you fancy. Enjoy as a breakfast treat on a lazy morning or just as an afternoon snack.

Crumble Coffee Cake
KAF Baking Companion

Crumble:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp almond extract

Batter:
8 tbsp margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a bowl, place the margarine and sugar.
Cream until combined.
Add the egg,
and mix.
Add the sour cream and vanilla. Blend.
Add all of the dry ingredients.
Stir to make a cohesive batter. Pour into the pan. Spread evenly. Set aside while you make the crumble.
For the crumble, place the flour, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
Add the melted margarine,
and stir with your fingers to make a rough crumble. Dont over mix or your crumble wont have the proper consistency.
Sprinkle evenly over the batter. Loads of crumble!
Bake for 30-35 minutes until it looks like this. Yummo!

No comments: