Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hot Chocolate Cakes

Hot chocolate cakes are a big deal in Israel. Every restaurant offers them on their dessert menus and everyone without fail passes up the apple pie in favor of these cakes. Why? I guess because the idea of them is so tempting. Hot molten chocolate cake paired with cold vanilla ice cream. What could be bad? The truth? These cakes are extremely overrated and a complete letdown. Something about them always tastes off and many times the cakes are always overcooked and consequently dont release any chocolate lava. So when one of my girls brought a couple into our room to share with us, I declined a taste, as I was sure they wouldn't be worth it. That's when I decided to make some of my own hot chocolate cakes, homemade always being better than their commercially made counterparts. And so, yesterday, I whipped them up. I chose this recipe from Sherry Yard's Desserts by the Yard. Calling for just a few ingredients, I decided to make a half batch, which was meant to yield four cakes, but ended up yielding five. The process was as simple as melting chocolate and margarine, whipping eggs and sugar and combining the two and baking briefly. The results? Sublime. The cakes fresh out of the oven are beautifully tall and when the center is broken into reveal a well of molten chocolate that is supported and surrounded by perfectly cooked cake. The flavor is just fresh, clean, delicious chocolate. I scraped my ramekin clean. Once these cool, the tops sink so they are not as attractive and I had trouble reheating and reliquifying them, so I would stick with serving them fresh. However, if you must refrigerate them, they do make a good cold dessert, as well. These cakes are so rich they need no adornment whatsoever.

Hot Chocolate Cakes
from Desserts by the Yard

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
8 ounces margarine or butter
6 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease eight ramekins thoroughly. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
Place the margarine and chocolate in a pan and melt until smooth. Set aside.
Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl.
Beat on hight until the eggs have doubled in volume, about three minutes.
Add the flour to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the eggs.
Beat to combine.
Carefully pour the batter into the prepared ramekins.
Bake for twelve minutes. Rotate the pan and bake an additional two minutes. Serve straight from the ramekins or run a knife around them and release them onto serving plates.

1 comment:

Tzivia said...

Mmm... far too fiddly, and not exactly family-friendly (no bake-ahead, and only 8 servings) but two years ago, my mother and sister made me molten cakes for my birthday. Amazing!