Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Any Day All Occasion Snack Cake

My does time fly. It's March! I can't believe it. Soon I'll be leaving on a jet plane to visit the family. Before that, though, I have to endure some school, starting tomorrow. To make that thought more palatable, I went on a baking spree. And made...three cakes. I'm evil, I know but I had lots of dairy in the fridge that's nearing its expiration date and something just had to be done with it. This was the first cake to be produced. The girls were quite frustrated that I wouldnt allow them to touch it as this is dairy and they usually have meat for dinner. Since most wouldnt be able to have, I told them none could. It now sits on a plate on my counter awaiting them tonight. This is a simple snack cake, as Flo Braker calls it, but I like to call it a coffee cake. It has a streusel and it would be perfect with coffee. Coffeecake it is. What's unique about this cake is its technique and ease of preparation. Some flour and sugars are mixed and then some of the mixture is set aside for the topping. The rest of the ingredients are then added and, voila, a batter! Without dirtying too many dishes. I accidentally added the extra cinnamon called for to the batter itself and not the streusel so my cake was quite cinnamony, which I found to be a happy mistake- I'd do it again. The cake baked up sticky and moist and yummy, and yes, perfect for snacking. **I must add this post script-- the girls LOVED this cake! They thought it was moist and delicious and it walked off the plate! One girl even ranked this in the top few baked items. For a simple coffee cake, thats not too shabby.

Any Day All Occasion Snack Cake
from Baking for All Occasions

2 1/3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup well shaken buttermilk
1 egg

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.

Place the flour, sugars, salt and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk until combined.
Add the oil,
and stir until well blended. Remove 3/4 of this mixture and set aside. To that, add the remaining cinnamon and blend.
Blend in the leavening.
Finally, add the buttermilk and egg,and mix to combine.
Pour into the pan and spread to the edges of the pan.
Top with the reserved streusel mixture.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool ten minutes in the pan before removing to a rack to cool completely.

No comments: