Sunday, May 16, 2010

Easiest Chocolate Mousse Pie

This Shabbat was spent with my friend L in Efrat by a former teacher who we've been in touch with over the years. When asked if we could bring anything we were told no but what kind of guests go to a host empty handed? So, with chocolate in mind, I whipped up the easiest but still quite impressive recipe I had on hand, Easiest Chocolate Mousse Pie, from Lori Longbotham. (I actually have the chocolate deck, but I assume that it appears in the book form as well.) Seriously, this dessert lives up to its name. I made it in ten minutes. Ok, maybe fifteen not including freezing time but still, super fast. I hadnt tasted this at all and was convinced that if it was so easy it couldnt be that good but I was told otherwise! M's husband reassured me that he was eating it not to make me feel good but because it was good. Really good. I sent M the recipe. I think that is the best compliment one can receive with regards to a recipe. I mixed vanilla and chocolate biscuits because I didnt have enough chocolate ones, which I think added something different to the look of it. Feel free to use all chocolate or all vanilla next time. I also froze the pie make it more of a frozen dessert than a mousse but it can be refrigerated instead if you opt for the mousse route. Either way you go, it'll be fine. If you are going to freeze it, be sure to let it thaw for five or so minutes at room temperature so that it's somewhat sliceable.

Easiest Chocolate Mousse Pie
from Lori Longbotham

Crust:
9 ounces chocolate wafers
6 tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Mousse:
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup brewed coffee (I used 1/2 cup boiling water and 1/2 tbsp instant espresso powder)
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt

Butter a nine inch springform pan. Set aside.
Place the cookies in a food processor and grind to a fine powder. Slowly pour in the margarine with the machine on.
Dump the crumbs into the pan,
and pat into the bottom evenly and up the sides of the pan. Set aside.
Have ready your coffee.
Place the chocolate and coffee in a pot or saucepan or microwaveable bowl.
Melt until smooth. Let cool for five minutes.
Place the cream, vanilla and salt in a bowl
and whip until stiff peaks form.
Add the chocolate mixture in three batches, folding well.
The mousse.
Pour into the pan and smooth. Refrigerate or freeze as desired.

1 comment:

Dewi said...

Simple, yet delicious and very pretty.