Monday, May 3, 2010

Apple Kuchen

I know it's been ages since I've posted anything. In fact, this is a cake I made the weekened before my trip to NY all the way back in March. A lot has happened since then. Two week trip to NY, school and fun times back in Israel. I had these pictures all uploaded and ready and I just never got around to it. To make matters worse, my computer needed to stay in America, delaying this post further. It still hasnt arrived and Im typing this on a school computer, frustrating keyboard and all. I made this for my final weekend in Israel before Pesach which was spent with my brother and sister at my sister's home. I had been wanting to make a kuchen for awhile and had this recipe selected, so I went for it. What I loved about this was its bready-cakey bottom, due to the yeast, and the yummy apples that softened and melded yummily with the cinnamon. Some thought the bottom too bland and indeed I think I would punch up the flavor next time, or in any similar cake, with some lemon zest and some more vanilla. Otherwise, this kuchen was a keeper.

Apple Kuchen
from Breadworld.com

2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 egg
3 cups sliced fresh cooking apples

Cinnamon Topping:
2/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Have your apples sliced and measured. Set aside.
To make the topping, place the sugar, cinnamon and margarine in a bowl.
Rub to combine until crumbs form. Set aside.
Place the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl.
Whisk until combined.
Add the egg, milk and water,
and mix to form a lumpy batter. Add more milk if needed.
Spread the batter evenly in a greased nine inch springform pan.
Arrange half of apple slices in an even layer,
and sprinke with half the crumble topping. Repeat with remaining apples and topping. Let rise for an hour. Towards the end, preheat the oven to 375.

Bake the cake for around 25 minutes.
When cool enough to handle, release the sides of the pan. Cool and serve.

No comments: