Monday, June 7, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cakelets

The school year here at SFW is officially over. Last night our banquet was held here followed by a last trip to the Kotel. It was quite emotional for everyone. Girls have already started leaving and it saddens me to think that I wont see them every day. Since it's quiet here, I'm taking the opportunity to post some of the things I have waiting. I made these cookies, or rather cakelets, last week for the girl's who adore pumpkin. I have been long wanting to make cookies with pumpkin and I chose to use the recipe for Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from the KAF Cookie companion, without the filling, of course. Because of the high moisture content in pumpkin, I think it's impossible to make a regular cookie- you're guaranteed a cakelet. Taking a page from my book, my roommates insisted on calling them what they really were, cakelets and not cookies. I have taught them well. In any case, these were as simple to throw together as mixing everything in one bowl and scooping. I opted to add chocolate chips, because they are a perfect complement to each other. The girls were incredibly enthusiastic about these. I kept hearing awesome and amazing and true to form, without my knowledge, the entire plate disappeared. Those girls never let me down. Take care to let them cool a few minutes before transferring them to a rack. Since they are so soft, they run the risk of breaking. These cakelets are guaranteed to make your kitchen smell like the best of fall for days.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cakelets
slightly adapted from the KAF Cookie Companion

1 15 ounce can pumpkin
2 eggs
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups flour
chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
In a bowl, place the pumpkin through molasses.
Whisk well to combine.
Add all of the flavorings and leavenings and blend.
Add the flour and chocolate chips,
and blend to make a thick batter.
Scoop onto cookie sheets, leaving plenty of space between each. These babies spread!
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until they feel firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool on their pans for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: