Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fatwitch Brownies

Earlier this week, my dad, sister, brother in law and niece piled into my sister's car and drove way up north for a day trip. The plan was to go to Caesaria and then visit some family on the way back. In between, we went to Ikea and got lost quite a bit. But Caesaria was the highlight. Beautiful, clean beaches.... so relaxing and so beautiful. Since we were having such a long day, I figured I should bake something for the road. I decided to make the classic Fatwitch brownie. Now, I should have known that no one eat them- my father eats candy, my sister had a cold and couldnt taste anything, and I pass on the sweets these days. My brother in law had a couple but that still left me with plenty of extra brownies. So I brought them home and cut them in half for the girls. They had smelled them baking all the night before and couldnt have then so they were more than happy to devour what was on the plate. A few notes about the brownies themselves. The recipe calls for a little more than 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Thinking this wouldnt be chocolatey enough, I subbed two tbsp dutch cocoa powder for two tbsp of the flour. When the brownies came out of the oven, I thought they were going to be cake like, but as they cooled, they settled into a dense fudgy brownie that actually looked quite like the picture. I cut the brownies into twelve humongo ones, so you might want to cut them into sixteen squares. Overall, I think these brownies are right up there with the Baked ones, also known as my favorite brownie. So that's not too shabby. 

Fatwitch Brownies
adapted from the Fatwitch cookbook

14 tbsp unsalted butter or margarine
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder
pinch salt

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Place the margarine and chocolate in a pot.
Melt, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Place the eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl
Whisk until smooth.
Add the melted chocolate mixture,
and mix until blended thoroughly.
Add the flour, cocoa, and salt,
and fold in until a uniform batter is formed.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 33 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for one hour before cutting.
Cut, plate and serve. 

No comments: