Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mekupelet Cake

I'm happy to finally present to you the long awaited Mekupelet cake! Part of the reason it took so long to get this cake baked is because the recipe calls for self rising flour, a product that I have never bought and is quite pricey. I was going to make my own but...... A couple of weeks ago, I stayed in for Shabbat with two girls and asked them to buy my flowers because I think they really enhance the Shabbat table. One of the girls, who is very literal, came into my room with a small package of self rising flour (get it?). I was quite surprised and disappointed until I saw the second girl come in with real, beautiful flowers. When I got over the shock of the whole joke, it registered that this was exactly the type and amount of flour I needed to make this cake. So Tuesday, I finally made the cake. The cake is really easy to make, it's a typical butter cake enhanced with sour cream for moisture. Take care not to over bake the cake; I think I did slightly, and the cake was just bordering on dry, making this a great accompaniment for tea, coffee or just as a casual dessert. For those non-Israelis out there, without access to Mekupelet chocolates, use whatever you have.

Mekupelet Cake
from More Chocolate

10 mini Mekupelet chocolates
60 grams milk
40 grams hot cocoa powder
200 grams softened margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
350 grams self rising flour- in Israel, it's one small bag
200 grams sour cream

Preheat your oven to 350. Line two "English cake" pans with parchment. Grease and set aside.
Crumble the chocolates up and set aside.
Pour the hot cocoa powder onto the milk,
stir and set aside.
Place the margarine and sugar in a large bowl,
and cream until fluffy.
Add the eggs one a time, beating well after each addition.
Here's what I got.
Add 1/3 of the self rising flour,
blend,
followed by half of the sour cream.
and blend. Repeat with the remaining sour cream and flour.
Add the chopped chocolate,
and fold in.
Divide equally into the two pans.
Evenly drizzle the the reserved cocoa/milk mixture over the batter.
Swirl with a knife to marbleize.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely and slice. 

1 comment:

Isreview said...

"came into my room with a small package of self rising flour."
Cute, and turned out to be a perfect "gift" considering the cake it helped make:)
---
Daniela
http://isreview1.blogspot.com