Monday, April 4, 2011

A Week of Whole Grain Baking, Day 2: Wheat Thins

I am on a cracker kick. Once I tried my hand at making crackers (my first try was the rye batch), it seems I just can not stop. (And I probably won't stop until I try at least a couple other combinations, too!) Anyway, this past weekend, we had an in Shabbat, our last together before the girls head to Poland and/or home for the holiday. Since I had time, I decided to bake for myself. Just like last time, I made some bread (more on that later) and these crackers. The whole grain of choice in these Wheat Thins are whole wheat flour. They are flavored with a bit of sugar, paprika and vanilla. The vanilla and sugar add a bit of sweetness that is quite pronounced, so I would omit the vanilla next time, cut back the sugar, and sprinkle some salt on the top to highlight the savoriness of the cracker. They taste most like their real counterparts when they are well done, so don't be afraid to let them get there. These are quite addictive- you won't stop at just a handful. I know I couldnt.

Wheat Thins
from KAF Whole Grain Baking

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
4 tbsp butter or margarine
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla
salt for topping

Preheat your oven to 400. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl,
and whisk to combine.
Add in the margarine,
and cut into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
Stir the water and the vanilla together,
and then pour over the dry ingredients.
Stir until a cohesive dough is formed.
Divide the dough in two.
Roll each half out into a thin sheet. Using a bench knife, cut the dough into squares,
and place onto your prepared baking sheets. Top with salt if desired. Bake 5-7 minutes or until well browned and crispy. Cool completely before storing in containers.

No comments: