Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mango Sorbet

Here's the mango sorbet that I promised you. Originally I intended to make an apricot sorbet but the supermarket that I went into Thursday night was out, indicating that apricot season was effectively over. Disheartened, I looked around and saw mangoes. Now, I personally am really not a fan of mango at all, but I walked over to them anyway and they were perfectly ripe. Mango sorbet it would be. I picked up three of them and took em on home. Like the plum sorbet, this was super easy to make. Well, almost super easy. I don't have much experience cutting mango so I thought I would cut myself a couple of times. The other challenging part for me was straining the puree. The recipe doesnt call for it straining but I wanted super smooth sorbet so I took the time to do it. A bit messy and time consuming, but definitely worth it. More so than the plum sorbet, the mango sorbet really was really true to the fruit's flavor. I omitted the rum from the recipe and substituted lemon juice for the lime juice and the result was still great; clean and fresh. If you're looking for something easy to make, freeze your ice cream maker work bowl today so you can have refreshing sorbet tomorrow! In this summer heat, how can you resist??

Mango Sorbet
adapted from The Perfect Scoop

2 large mangoes
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
4 tsp fresh lemon juice
pinch salt
Using a peeler, peel the mangoes. Cut the flesh from around the pits and then cut the flesh into chunks.
Place the cut mango into the work bowl of your food processor along with the remaining ingredients. 
Process until smooth. Strain if you have the desire and/or patience.
Process in your ice cream maker as per manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a plastic, freezer safe container and freeze. 

No comments: