Thursday, October 6, 2011

Black Chocolate Cake

Last Sunday, I decided to bake a cake for my class in the course that I'm observing in the army. One of the guys had a birthday and a bunch of them are finishing their service as soon as the course is over, so I figured a cake was in order. But really- who needs a reason to celebrate with cake? I decided a simple chocolate cake with frosting was in order, so I turned to one of my Israeli cookbooks to help me out. Deep and dark, this cake is thick (not quite ooey gooey like my mom's recipe but still good) and the frosting is nice to work with also. I tossed on some sprinkles to make it more festive and I like how it came out- kind of youthful and childish. The cake was really appreciated-- everyone was surprised that I actually showed up with it and it was eaten down to the last crumb and dab of frosting on the wrapper!

Black Chocolate Cake
from Sheshet, the Kitchen Helper

Cake:
3 cups flour
10 grams baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup cocoa
4 eggs
1 cup milk
300 grams melted butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla

Frosting:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
150 grams butter or margarine

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment. Grease the parchment and set aside.
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Whisk and set aside.
Place the cocoa powder into a small bowl.
Pour the boiling water over it and stir thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
In another bowl, place the eggs, milk and vanilla.
Whisk to combine.
Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients,
and blend.
Pour in the cocoa mixture,
and whisk to combine.
Pour into the prepared pan,
and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Start checking on it when the house begins to smell of chocolate.
Allow to cool completely before glazing. I leveled off the cake to make the surface even for frosting.
To make the topping, combine cocoa, milk and sugar into a pot.
Heat until smooth and well combined. It may look like it will never come together because of so little liquid, but trust me, it will.
Beat in the margarine until a smooth mixture forms.
Done.
Pour it over the cake, or allow it to cool before covering the cake with it. The latter option will give it more of a frosting like consistency. Sprinkle as desired!

No comments: