Thursday, April 26, 2012

Coffee White Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies

These were the second type of cookie that I made during my pre-Pesach baking fest. It took me a while to find  a recipe that would make use of what I had left in the house but I finally found it in Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Cookies and I must say, I was quite surprised by how successful they were. The amount of espresso in the recipe was alarming so my expectations were quite low, even after I reduced the amount. I threw in whatever white chocolate chips I had left sitting around and took care to underbake them, ensuring a chewy, instead of crisp, cookie. The combination of white chocolate chips and coffee turned out to be a winning one, and the strength of the coffee was toned down by the baking. Needless to say, these cookies disappeared really fast. These cookies are slice and bake, refrigerator-style cookies, so if you're not interested in baking right away, or you're looking to bake cookies in advance, just stash the rolls in the freezer and bake as needed.
Coffee White Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies
adapted from BHG Biggest Book of Cookies

1 1/2 tbsp espresso powder 
1 tbsp hot water 
1/2  cup butter 
1/4 cup shortening 
1 cup sugar 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp cinnam 
1/4 tsp salt 
2 cups flour 
handful white chocolate chips

Dissolved the espresso in the hot water and set aside. Cream the butter and shortening with the sugars until nice and creamy. Add the espresso mixture and the egg and beat until thoroughly blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips and beat until a dough is formed, taking care to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Divide the dough into two and using parchment paper, form the dough into two logs. Refrigerate at least an hour. 
Preheat the oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment or baking mats. Slice the dough and place at least 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden on the outside but still soft in the middle. Don't overbake! Cool on pans for three minutes before removing to a cooling rack. 

No comments: