Monday, August 18, 2008

Muffin Mondays: Strawberry Muffins

For this week's Muffin Monday, I bring to you my recipe for Strawberry Muffins that I developed only just yesterday for this occasion! I'm always surprised at the success of a recipe that I've invented but these rank up there as one of my favorite muffins. Inspired by the yogurt and jelly in my fridge (everything needs to go before I fly to New York on Thursday!!) I whipped these babies up. They are not overwhelmingly strawberry-y but you certainly taste it and smell it as well. You can always add more jam and add fresh strawberries as you please; unfortunately, it's not the season for strawberries in Israel, so that wasn't an option. Of course it is whole grain, using spelt, oat, and whole wheat flours, and relatively low in fat, as per my dietary considerations. These baked up beautifully brown and big and soft, with their caps climbing over the top of the pan. But with only a light spray of Pam, they came out so easily! No nudging this time and no broken muffins. They were kind of perfect in every way, if I may say so. Note to self: Keepers!

Strawberry Muffins

3 oz flour
3 oz whole wheat flour
1 5/8 oz oat flour
3 1/8 oz spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 oz no sugar added strawberry jam (I used St. Balfour)
6 oz 0% strawberry yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour through salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the margarine through yogurt. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients. Mix gently until the batter just comes together, taking care not to overmix. Let the batter to sit for five minutes to allow the (grain) flours to absorb the liquids. Divide the batter evenly among the twelve cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!

The dry goods.

The wet works.
The liquid ingredients meeting the dry.

So happy together.
Panned and ready to be baked.
Baked and beautiful!

The lone strawberry muffin. Yum!

No comments: