Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Squares

My efforts to use leftover, neglected fruit continues! This time around the star is bananas. Having so much of the same fruit to use gets frustrating as I've used them in so many different applications and it's difficult not to repeat! So far I've made banana bread, muffins, cake, etc. I'm running out of ideas. I thought about making a banana chocolate chip bar and so after striking out with the Cookie Companion, I headed to the Nestle website and found this recipe. Simple to put together with a generous yield, this is what I made yesterday. I made these early in the afternoon and held them until evening, when all of the girls returned from their night off. The girls, as usual, were excited to have something to munch on and these disappeared slowly but surely. The reviews were quite positive, I myself liked them. The only interesting comment I received was about its texture... not a cookie but not a cake, somewhere in between. I admit I was expecting more of a blondie texture and was somewhat disappointed so I suppose that was an accurate assessment but these are still yummy. (Because of the high moisture of the bananas, it's possible that the texture just can't be chewy and blondie like. Or perhaps I should have baked them for a few minutes less.) In any case, if you have left over bananas and want something other than the typical banana bread, try these. I used mini chocolate chips, but I'm sure you can use regular.

Banana Chocolate Chip Squares
from the Nestle site, also found in Delectable Desserts

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup margarine or butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 medium mashed ripe bananas
1 egg
mini chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a jelly roll pan with a sheet of parchment. Set aside.
If you havent already, mash your bananas and set aside. I like to use a sandwich bag as if it were a glove and mash them that way.
Place the margarine and sugars and vanilla into a bowl.
Cream.
Add the bananas and egg.
Mix until well combined.
Add all of the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips.
Mix thoroughly until a smooth batter is formed.
Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake 20-30 minutes or until even golden. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer to a rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

No comments: