Friday, February 19, 2010

Orange Cake

After making the Hamentashen, I was left with a nice amount of orange juice. Not wanting to waste it, I set out to find something to bake with it. Of course I could just drink it.... but that would be no fun. I remembered this Orange Cake recipe from an Israeli cookbook of mine that I've had my eye on for a while and finally decided to make it. My roommate E had a party last night and I thought it would be nice for her to bring this cake. It turns out that there was so much food there that only a quarter of the cake got eaten. She brought the rest home where I got to taste it and the girls happily devoured it. :) One of my girls kept sneaking back into my room to cut slivers off of it. This cake is different from that other Orange Cake that appears on the blog in the technique. The eggs and sugar are beaten thoroughly until light and fluffy before the other ingredients are added, thus insuring a fluffy and delicate texture. This cake turned out moist and light, and bursting with bright orange flavor. It is so deceptively light that you could consume a lot of this cake without realizing. The only thing I would do differently is to add more orange zest and perhaps a pinch of salt. I love the way the cake looks just barely dusted with powdered sugar.

Orange Cake

3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
10 grams baking powder
1 cup canola oil
1 1/4 cups orange juice
zest of one orange

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 10 inch springform pan. Set aside.
Place the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl.
Using a mixer, beat the eggs and sugar for around eight minutes until tripled in volume and light in color. Set aside.
Measure out the oil, juice, and zest.
Combine the flour and baking powder thoroughly.
Add the flour mixture and liquid mixture alternately in three additions.
Thoroughly incorporate, taking care not to deflate the batter.Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for around fifty minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for about ten minutes on a rack before removing the rim of the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.

No comments: