Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hamentashen

I should be studying. But I can't focus. I'm in middle of finals. The exam I took today was not too bad but I have another one on Thursday and I should be working. But does Biblical grammar sound palatable to you? Not as palatable as these Hamentashen, I bet. We just welcomed the month of Adar, the month that contains the holiday of Purim. Purim is the holiday that commemorates the salvation of the Jews from the hands of the Persians out to wipe them out. To celebrate the arrival of this month, I whipped up a batch of Hamentashen, more commonly known as Haman's hat cookies. This recipe comes from my mom's recipe files and it is a personal favorite. No other hamentashen compare to these that I've grown up on. My mom makes them small so that they bake up nice and crunchy and I make them the same way. There are tons of possible fillings, from jams, to peanut butter to dulce de leche to poppy seeds. Let your imagination run wild. The dough is soft and needs a significant amount of flour to roll out without sticking. Chilling the dough overnight or at least an hour before rolling helps.

Mom's Hamentashen
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
Flour as needed

Place the eggs, oil, orange juice, vanilla, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
Whisk until thoroughly combined.Add the flour in and mix until a soft, cohesive dough is formed.
Shape into a square, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
When you're ready to bake them, roll them out on floured surface and cut circles, depending on the size of cookies you want. Place the cut outs onto parchment lined baking sheets. Preheat the oven to 350.
Fill with desired filling and pinch together to form a triangle.
These are strawberry filled,
and baked until golden, maybe eight to ten minutes. Make sure to seal them well or they'll leak.These are filled with dulce de leche. Cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Happy holidays!

No comments: