Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Caramel Brownies

Finally. Caramel brownies. I've been waiting and waiting to make these. I've searched every candy store that I see for mehadrin caramel candies so I could make them but have found none. So when I bought a jar of dulce de leche for a birthday cake and needed to use some of it up, I thought, it would have to do in place of caramel candies. (It should be noted, that dulce de leche is much simpler to work with than the candies..) In the end, it worked remarkably well. I gave a few to my sister who stopped by as a birthday treat and served them at our weekly meeting. The general consensus was that these were caramelly and delicious and... simply divine. I'm pretty sure that means these were a hit. I adapted this recipe from the Fatwitch Cookbook recipe for Caramel Witches. I dolloped on the dulce de leche and swirled it around. Next time, I'd swirl a bit less so that there would be pockets of caramel or I'd consider pouring half the brownie batter, spreading with caramel and topping with the remaining batter. Either way, you'll have people begging to scrape the pan clean.... Now.. what to do with the remaining dulce de leche....

Caramel Brownies
adapted from the Fatwitch Cookbook

14 tbsp margarine
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp chocolate chips
3 eggs
1 cup sugar plus 1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
pinch salt
dulce de leche, as needed

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Place the margarine and chocolate in a pot to melt.
Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Place the sugar and eggs in a bowl and whisk to blend, taking care not to over-aerate.
Add the melted chocolate mixture,
and blend.
Add the dry ingredients and fold to combine.
Pour into the prepared pan. Top with scoops of dulce de leche. Swirl with a toothpick.
Bake for thirty five minutes- do not overbake! Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill for optimal fudginess.

No comments: