Thursday, November 25, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Admittedly, here in Israel, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving like Americans do in America. Cheesy as it sounds, there's much to be thankful for every day and we have feasts like these every weekend on Shabbat. So to me, Thanksgiving and all its trappings are unnecessary for me. Not so for the girls. I went to Neve Daniel last night to babysit for my niece while she and her husband were at a wedding and I came home this morning to see my bed covered with signs begging me to bake pumpkin pie. They were so cute that I couldnt resist them and so today, I did indeed bake the pumpkin pie you see here for my creative girls. (In the process, I sliced my finger open when I opened the can of pumpkin, but I soldiered on. No biggie.) The recipe I used was from my newly acquired Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts that I found in a used book store. I made her pate brisee recipe and used the leftovers to cut out small circles to decorate the crust with because I don't have any leaf cutouts. The filling is simple and the only changes I made to the recipe were to use half turbinado sugar and half dark brown sugar instead of all brown sugar and non dairy cream instead of dairy. That's it. Baked for about an hour, cooled for about an hour while I napped, and then served perfectly sliced slices to my eager girls who were so excited and thankful that I actually took the signs seriously and made them pie. That, my, friends, is the magic of giving. 

Pumpkin Pie
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts

1 recipe pie dough for a nine inch pie, use your favorite
1 can packed pumpkin puree
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream, or non dairy equivalent
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 375. 
Roll out your pie dough and fit to a nine inch pie plate. Decorate the edges as desired and refrigerate until ready to fill. Place the pumpkin in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well until thoroughly blended. Pour into prepared pastry.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned and the custard set. Cool completely before serving.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: