Sunday, March 13, 2011

Whole Grain Pumpkin Cake

Last week, I took a girl to the doctor on Emek Refaim. While she was in his office, I took the opportunity to go into the supermarket right next door. This supermarket is quite pricey, but their produce is beautiful and they carry loads of American products. I rarely go there because it's not often that I'm in the area, but I decided to take advantage. The first thing I looked for was canned pumpkin. I had gone through my last can around Thanksgiving time to make a pumpkin pie and I decided it was time to replenish my stock. I came home with four cans. :) This is all very well and good, but then came the challenge of figuring out what to do with them. First up? Pumpkin cake. I know, I know. Last year, I made Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream. But this cake? Far more humble. Baked in a simple 9x13, made with whole grains, and studded with chocolate chips.... as homey as homey gets. I cut them into huge hunks and piled them on a plate. Made with both margarine and oil, this cake was tender and moist; you could see it in the cut pieces. As far as the whole grains? You never would have guessed they were there. A dusting of powdered sugar would be nice here, but forgo it as I did if you're feeling rustic. 
Whole Grain Pumpkin Cake
from KAF Whole Grain Baking (where else?!)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup whole barley flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg- no substitutes!
1/4 tsp allspice
1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 15 ounce can pumpkin
handful chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 inch pan or line with parchment and set aside.
Place all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk and set aside.
Place the margarine, oil and sugar in a large bowl. 
Cream well. 
Add the eggs one at time, stirring well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl as necessary. 
This is what I got after all my eggs were incorporated.
Add the pumpkin,
and mix to combine. I just love the texture the batter takes on when the pumpkin is added, thick and satiny.
Add the dry ingredients,
and the chocolate chips.
Mix thoroughly.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan. 
Bake about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool and cut into hunks. 

No comments: