Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chocolate Velvet

Two weekends ago, I was hosted by my friend Nili in Jerusalem. She insisted that I bring nothing but as my father taught me, don't go anywhere empty handed. So I decided to make a cake. I settled on chocolate because it always pleases. I started leafing through my books and settled on this cake. It's an Israeli recipe and literally translated it means Chocolate Velvet. Turns out that's exactly what you get here. Nothing short of rich, chocolate fudge in every bite. The cake went over really well but because it is so rich, I went home with half. The solution? Bring it to my Ulpan students. I made them earn it though by making them first translate the recipe. It was quite amusing to listen to. They made short work of finishing the cake for me. I made this cake parve for Shabbat but you can make it dairy. I also used coffee liqueur instead of the chocolate called for. Feel free to use any flavor that you have on hand. To keep this cake fudgy and moist, the recipe instructs you to place a pan of boiling water in the oven along with the cake. This is a technique I'll adopt because you get the steam effect without risking seepage into the cake. Happy Purim!

Chocolate Velvet
Slightly adapted from Carine Goren

400 grams bittersweet chocolate, chopped
250 grams margarine
1/2 cup parve cream
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp coffee liqueur
6 eggs
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat your oven to 140 degrees, Celsius. Have some boiling water on hand. Line a nine inch springform pan with parchment. Set aside.
Melt the chocolate with the margarine, cream and salt in your microwave. Add the liqueur and mix until smooth. Set aside.
Beat the eggs and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer for five minutes on high speed. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into the prepared pan. Place in the oven. Pour the boiling water into a glass pan and set it next to the cake pan in the oven. This alternative to a steam bath will insure even baking. Bake an hour until the cake has risen and is slightly cracked. Cool completely. The cake will fall significantly, this is fine.

To make the topping, bring the cream to a near boil and pour over chocolate. Let sit for a minute or two before stirring to make a smooth ganache. Pour over the cooled cake, spreading to the edges. Chill for at least two hours in the fridge.
Voila!

2 comments:

Daily Content Media said...

This recipe sounds DELICIOUS! Sounds perfect for birthday cakes seeing that its so rich everyone would get small portions.
El Prado Bakery | Birthday Cakes

Chavi said...

A very decadent birthday cake!