Monday, February 18, 2013

Reinhart's Thin Wheat Crackers

I can never resist a cracker recipe when I stumble on one both for their ease of preparation and for the high marks they get in the munch-ability category. They are just so darned good, with everything and at anytime! That is why immediately after the graham cracker episode I continued on to make these Thin Wheat Crackers from Whole Grain Breads. These were not only delicious and ridiculously foolproof but of all the crackers I've made (and there have been a bunch) these most successfully brought me back to my childhood Shabbatot where we would have my father's famous eggs and onions, almost always with a side of crackers. Indeed, when I wasn't stealing a few from the little baggie I stored them in, I ate them along with some egg salad that I quickly made for the occasion. Yum.

Thin Wheat Crackers
Slightly adapted from Whole Grain Breads

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp soy milk
1 1/2 tbsp date syrup or honey
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Extra flour for adjustments

Combine the four, salt, milk, sweetener and oil in a bowl and mix until the ingredients come together to form a dough. Adjust to make a firm but tacky dough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for three minutes. The dough should feel like modeling clay, not sticky or crumbly at all.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and have a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a silpat ready. Let the dough rest for twenty minutes.
Roll the dough on a silicone mat as thinly as it will allow, about an 1/8 of an inch thick. If the dough resists you at any point, give it a five minute rest and resume rolling. Using a bench knife of a pizza roller cut your dough into the shapes of your choice.
Place the crackers onto the prepared baking sheet. You can put them really close together as they won't rise much, but be sure to leave a bit of space. Feel free to top with seeds at this point if desired.
Bake the crackers for around twenty minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the bake until the crackers turn a rich brown on both sides.
Cool completely before eating. The crackers will crisp up as they cool.

No comments: