Thursday, June 25, 2009

Honey Sesame Biscotti

For some reason, these past few days I've been on a biscotti kick. I could not for the life of me get them off my mind until I made a couple of batches. And a couple of batches I made! Biscotti is the famous Italian cookie that is baked, sliced and then baked again- the word biscotti literally means twice cooked. This recipe for Honey Sesame Biscotti comes from, where else, the Cookie Companion. That's right, it contains an entire chapter of biscotti recipes and variations. All one needs to do is make up her mind and get into the kitchen. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand for these so I whipped them up right away and let me say biscotti seriously could not be easier. I added some semolina that I had on hand which I don't think perceptibly made a difference. Due to the honey in the dough they brown fast, so keep an eye out. Mine got a bit well done but that was no deterrence. The honey flavor really shines through here while the sesame is a subtle but supporting flavor that shines in the background. It's pleasantly nutty. These biscotti have a gentle bite but aren't the overly hard type. I've been enjoying these in the morning for breakfast. They'd be awesome dipped in coffee or tea, but really, so unnecessary.

Honey Sesame Biscotti
adapted from KAF Cookie Companion

2 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 cup honey
1 cup semolina flour
1 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl.Cream.Add the eggs, sesame oil, and honey. Whisk until combined.
Add the flours, baking powder, and salt. Beat until incorporated.
Spread out on the lined baking sheet. Smooth out.
Bake for around 30 minutes or until they look dark and done. Let cool for at least five minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300. Spritz with water and let sit another five minutes.
Slice into even slices. Place them standing up on the baking sheet. Place in the oven again and bake for another 30-40 minutes until dried out.
Enjoy!

No comments: