Monday, April 11, 2011

Peanut Butter Graham Squares

With many of my girls either in Poland or already at home for the holidays, things have been pretty quiet around here. The bunch that is here for Pesach is quite bored, as am I, and so they come to hang out in my room to just chill out. One night, I offered to bake for them. I found this no bake recipe and decided to make it. Miraculously, I had just enough powdered sugar for this recipe, one girl generously donated some peanut butter and I was able to finish these tea biscuits-- the very last of my chametz gamur! The original recipe calls for graham crackers but since they are rare in Israel and I wasn't going to be making my own, the tea biscuits made a convenient substitute. If you so choose to use tea biscuits as your base, be sure to let the whole thing chill for a while so that they filling and crackers can meld. Otherwise, the crackers are likely to fall off as they did on the first night they were eaten. A good amount of them got eaten that night and the rest when off to the Botanical Gardens for a picnic that some girls were having. I used a mix of bittersweet and 60% for the topping- use whatever you have on hand.

Peanut Butter Graham (Tea Biscuit) Squares
slightly adapted from the Cookie Companion

11 whole graham crackers, or 1 sleeve tea biscuits
1 1/2 cups graham cracker or tea biscuit crumbs
1 cup unsalted butter or margarine
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
7 1/2 ounces chocolate chips- I just melted bittersweet and 60% cacao chocolate

Line a 9x13inch pan with the whole graham crackers or tea biscuits.
In a large bowl, place the crumbs, the margarine, sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt.
Beat until smooth.
Dollop over the tea biscuits and pat evenly to the edges. Chill for at least an hour.
Place the chocolate into a saucepan or microwave safe bowl,
and melt.
Working quickly, before it sets up from the chilled base, spread the chocolate evenly to the edges. Allow to cool until set. Cut into bars and serve.
A bunch of happy girls and a half eaten try of cookies!

No comments: