Monday, September 15, 2008

Chocolate Mousse Cake

I never realized how stressful it is to prepare for company for a weekend..until now. This weekend, my sister and brother-in law and two kids were over as well as his best friend and my other sister's best friend. Plus my parents, sister and me. That's alot of people to wow. Of course, I had to plan what desserts to make and as always I did a lot of thinking. When I asked for ideas, my brother-in-law's friend suggested Mousse Pie... which in turn led me to Chocolate Mousse Cake, a cake I had made once before that received rave reviews. This was the perfect, albeit rich, way to end Friday night dinner. This recipe comes from the dominant Israeli food magazine called Al HaShulchan. Needless to say, it was a success here, too.

Chocolate Mousse Cake
adapted from Al HaShulchan

300 grams bittersweet chocolate
10 eggs, separated
150 grams sugar, divided
6 tbsp nondairy milk
2 squirts of vanilla
1 tbsp frangelico, or any complementary liqueur of your choice

Preheat the oven to 350.

Place separated yolks into a bowl,

and add 50 grams of sugar.

Whisk to combine.
Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.

Slowly melt it to make sure that it doesn't burn.

Add the melted chocolate to the yolk- sugar mixture,

and stir well to combine.

Add the milk and liqueur,


and once again whisk to combine.
In a spotlessly clean metal bowl, whip the egg whites until foamy. Slowly add in the remaining 100 grams of sugar and whip until stiff.
Gently begin to fold the whites into the chocolate mixture.

Almost there...
The batter is complete.
Pour about 2/3 of the batter into an ungreased 10" springform pan.
Bake about 30-40 minutes until set; a toothpick inserted should come out clean and the top shouldn't wobble. In the mean time, refrigerate the remaining batter.
When the cake has cooled, top with the remaining batter. Spread to the edges and smooth it out. Freeze until ready to serve. Garnish with whipped cream or as desired.

No comments: