Sunday, October 5, 2008

Favorite Lemon Squares

I told you I'd be up and posting soon after surgery! Thank G-d the surgery was successful and I'm slooowly, but surely, recovering. The doctor said it (my good ole gall bladder) reallly needed to come out, even though I had been feeling normal, so I'm glad that it's over and done with. I will say that I'm anxious to get back into the kitchen, though! Sorry for ruining all y'all's appetites with all the medical speak. Knowing that I would be out of commission Friday, I baked lemon squares the night before and prepared the challot as well (coming up). The lemon squares I baked for my sister who has been literally been begging me to make them since I've been here. As she's been going through some drama lately, I decided that this would be a good time to make them. I used the Favorite Lemon Square Recipe in Carole Walter's Great Cookies. Although I didn't make them overly lemony at all, they still hit the spot. They were more sweet than lemony, although next time I would add more zest and use fresh juice. I know I should have used fresh, but honestly, it was the day before surgery, I wasn't eating and I couldn't be bothered. The crust came together easily. I didn't use the mixer to mix the filling, but I don't think it took away from the end result. They turned out smooth, creamy, with a nice, soft bite from the crust. Let me be the first to say that these are addictive. Evening out corners adds up, let me tell you. Common in the cookie files, lemon squares are no less special and I think I've hit my go- to recipe. I look forward to trying this with different citruses.

Favorite Lemon Squares
from Carole Walter's Great Cookies

Crust:
1 cup margarine or butter
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Filling:
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar- (the recipe calls for superfine, but granulated works just as well)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (or bottled for a very subtle lemon flavor)
1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with aluminum foil for easy release and cutting. Lightly grease the foil with non-stick spray.

Place the margarine in a microwave safe bowl,

and heat until melted. Allow to cool for a few minutes.

Add the flour and powdered sugar

and stir until it comes together.

Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for twenty minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.

This is how you want your crust to look. About seven minutes before the crust is due to come out of the oven (depending if you're making the filling by hand or by mixer),

place the four eggs in a bowl and mix well for a couple of minutes.

Add the sugar to the bowl and mix vigorously until light and thickened. It might take awhile by hand, but your mixer should make short work of this.

Add the juice, zest, baking powder and salt,

mix well to combine.

Pour the filling over the hot crust,

and bake for 25-28 minutes until firm and nicely browned. Let cool 3-4 hours before cutting. When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!

No comments: