Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sourdough Chocolate Cake

I think I may have mentioned that I have a little thing for King Arthur Flour. Yes that kind of thing, and it's hard to break it off. I own their books, get their catalogues and have some Baking Sheets and consult their site almost every day. Oh, and did I mention I stalk their blog? Right. I do. Religiously. Like, every day. They post great recipes and tips and are good at thinking outside of the box. Like Sourdough Chocolate Cake. I saw it and I was intrigued. Starter in a cake? Since I had lovingly raised my own starter, I decided, why not? And so I gave it a go yesterday. I'm so happy I did. There's not a single hint of sourdough just deep chocolate flavor and the moistest crumb ever. Don't believe me, try it yourself. I didn't make the frosting; I wanted unadulterated cake to test the flavor. Let me tell you, it don't need no frosting. I made half a recipe for the non-existent people in my house, and let me tell you, it went! And no one was the wiser. I don't think they'd have eaten it if they had known. That's ok.. more for me. The only other substitution I made was to use rice milk instead of regular to keep it non dairy. Oh, and I omitted the espresso. Check out the site for the recipe. Then check out this week's edition of Yeastspotting.

Place your fed starter in a bowl.


Add the milk of your choice and stir starter to dissolve.

Dump the flour on top,


and stir to make a shaggy mixture.

Let rest for a couple of hours until it looks something like this.

In a separate bowl, I placed the cocoa, oil, sugar, salt, baking soda and vanilla.

Blend well.

Add the lone egg, and incorporate.

Dump in the starter mixture.

Now I know I always tell you to blend well, but this time blend realllllly well. You don't any unincorporated bits of starter. You will taste those.

The batter is in a pan lined with foil and greased and ready to be baked.

Here it is baked. Cool, cut and serve. Yummo!

1 comment:

Susan said...

This looks like a terrific easy cake. I'd probably leave it unfrosted too.