Monday, October 12, 2009

Banana Cake

Another one of the second year students, N, has been asking me for a while to make something banana-chocolate. So I grabbed some bananas leftover from one of the meals and waited patiently for them to overripen. Together, we made delicious banana chocolate chip muffins and afterwards I made this Banana Cake from Rose's Heavenly Cakes. (I've been trying to put that book to use as much as I can since I've laid my hands on it) The first step is to puree the bananas in the food processor. I dont know why I never thought to process them to get a smooth banana puree with no lumps. Maybe I just didnt want to dirty more dishes. Anyway, pretty soon the batter came together beautifully and baked up into a nice one layer cake. I topped it with some melted chocolate and margarine, simple and delicious. This cake was nice and moist, not overwhelmingly banana-ey, but perfectly so. I need to make it again. Soon. Which means nipping more bananas. Sigh.

Banana Cake
adapted from Rose's Heavenly Cakes

2 large very ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
2 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (200 grams)
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Grease and flour a 9 inch round cake pan. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the bananas and sour cream in a food processor.
Process until creamy and smooth.
Add the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla,
and process until combined.

Place the contents of the food processor into a bowl and add the sugar. Beat on medium speed for one minute.

Gradually drizzle in the oil, beating until completely incorporated.

Add the dry ingredients,
and beat on low for two minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Unmold the cake and invert it on a wire rack to cool.

Serve as is dusted with powdered sugar or spread with some melted chocolate mixed with a bit of margarine. Serve to hungry sem girls. It did turn out quite beautifully. Picture perfect, actually.

No comments: