Sunday, December 12, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I wish I could be proud of myself and say that all the bananas are done. All of my bananas are done and I used them quite creatively, I must say, but my roommate has black bananas sitting on her shelf and she insists I do something with them... Sorry to say, this may not be the last banana post you see around here although trust me, I wish it were. I'm so sick of banana related recipes that I'm ready to go back to apples. That, my friends, is saying something. The good news is that this is a new recipe and a real cookie! With bananas! And it's not soft and smushy! The wonders of Martha Stewart. The cookie goes together as easily as any other cookie recipe but wow, the reviews these babies got. The girls LOVED them. That could be because I told them that they were a tad bit virtuous, due to the oats, whole wheat flour and bananas, or it could because of the massive, melty chocolate chunks in there. All I know is that I didnt make enough of these. Once again, lesson learned. I omitted the nuts for the sake of the girls with allergies and because I find that generally younger people are resistant to nuts. If you're looking for a different way to use bananas, as I always am, this winning recipe has your name written all over it. No need to thank me.

Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies
from Martha Stewart's Cookies

1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mashed banana
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
8 ounces chocolate chunks

Preheat your oven to 375. Whisk together the flours, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside. Put the margarine or sugars in a bowl and beat until smooth and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and blend. Add the banana and mix. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Stir in oats and chocolate chunks.
Here is my batter.
Using a teaspoon scoop, scoop cookies onto parchment lined baking sheets.
Bake for around 12-13 minutes, until golden brown and set. Let cool for two minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

No comments: