Tuesday, January 25, 2011

White Spice Pound Cake

The above picture of cake is the only picture available of the final product, a. because despite my liberal greasing of the pan, it stuck and b. because my girls (who were visiting from last year) pounced on it before I had a chance to coax it out of the pan. I made the cake just because I felt like baking (and because I had egg whites in the fridge that I didn't want to waste), not intending it for anyone specific. But then, in my girls walked.... and the cake was theirs. Small as it was, it disappeared kinda fast. I had to grab it away at some point just to have a picture for this post. I guess that's a good thing. This lightly spiced pound cake comes from the Cake Bible and is easily made in the way of all Rose's cakes. One of my girls told me it tasted like Thanksgiving. I'm guessing that's a good thing. The cocoa powder and the cinnamon and cloves lent this cake a slightly muddy color, which I wasnt thrilled about, although it could have been the pan also. Because of the color, I was convinced the cake couldnt possibly be good. But they insisted it was. The proof was in the crumbs in the pan. The two changes I made were to swap vanilla for the brandy that I dont have and to use all purpose flour for the cake flour. I'm pretty sure no one missed them.

White Spice Pound Cake
adapted from the Cake Bible

60 grams milk
4 large egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
200 grams all purpose or cake flour
200 grams sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
227 grams margarine

Preheat the oven to 350 and liberally grease a 6 cup loaf pan or tube pan. If using the loaf pan, parchment is a great idea here. Set aside.
In a small bowl, lightly combine the milk, whites, and vanilla. Set aside.
In a larger bowl, place all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Add the margarine and half of the milk mixture.
Beat until all of the flour is moistened.
Add the remaining milk mixture in two parts,
beating well after each addition. Beat on high for a minute or two after all the milk is absorbed.
Spoon the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. about 45-55 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan on a rack for ten minutes before depanning. Cool completely. 

No comments: