Friday, January 14, 2011

Peanut Butter Squares

When my mom came, one of the books that I had requested from her to bring arrived as well. How To Be a Domestic Goddess was one of my very first baking books that I purchased in Israel, found in Steimatzky's, bought or around eighty shekels. Sadly, when I returned after my first year in Israel, I brought it back to America and I havent really seen it since. But when my mom brought it back I thumbed through it as if I'd never seen it. Tons of recipes jumped out at me immediately, but the first recipe I made was for these Peanut Butter Squares from the Children chapter. They were the perfect thing to make for my boss, to whom I owed something peanut butter and chocolate. No bake, and super fast and easy, they turned out delicious, and earned raves from everyone who tasted them. Definitely perfect for making with kids, and when you're looking for something fast, this is the way to go.

Peanut Butter Squares
from How To Be a Domestic Goddess

Peanut Butter Layer:
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter

Topping:
7 ounces milk chocolate
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 tbsp unsalted butter or margarine

Line a 9 inch pan with parchment. Grease and set aside.
Put all of the base ingredients in a bowl,
and using your hands or a mixer, knead or mix until you have a uniform mass.
Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and chill.
While the base is chilling, place all of the topping ingredients into a pot.
Melt until completely smooth.
Pour over the chilled base and smooth with an offset spatula. Chill until set.
Cut using a bench knife and serve.

No comments: