Monday, November 2, 2009

Caramel Swirl Hunks

Another rain filled day. Boy am I glad I am inside on a day like this. Thankfully, this was an off day and an in day at SFW. The idea of walking around campus and trudging to class in this weather is not exactly my idea of appealing. Although I hope it's still rainy tomorrow, I would love to not be stuck in this and get to school safely. All I can say is, out come the rain boots! Anyway, in baking land... I recently purchased a container of dulce de leche (it's mehadrin, chalav yisrael, yay!!!) and couldn't wait to make something with it. I was going to make the Millionaire Shortbread from Baked (and I still might!) but instead I went for something far more low maintenance, but still equally delicious. I made these Caramel Swirl Hunks from my old favorite, A Passion for Baking. I haven't put it to use in a while and the photograph was really tempting. So that was a no-brainer. The recipe calls for ingredients that you'd have in your pantry on any given afternoon, except for the dulce de leche. But even that you could make at home if you happen to have sweetened condensed milk laying around your pantry. I cut this recipe in half because I couldnt stand the thought of using two cups of margarine and three cups of sugar to make a 9x13 inch pan. I know by cutting it in half and using a nine by nine inch pan, the proportion is still the same and this is by no means a guilt free recipe but...somehow I felt better about it. Don't ask me why. I had a bit of trouble swirling, a la the peanut butter brownies, and I would probably add more dulce de leche next time to insure that each bite has plenty but other than that no complaints at all. They turned out rich and moist and so full of buttery-milky caramely goodness. Anyone who tasted them loved them. Since we had meat for dinner (so they can't be eaten with anything milk), most girls will likely not being able to have them. But it's okay- at least I'll be fully prepared for the madrichot meeting tomorrow.

Caramel Swirl Hunks
from A Passion for Baking

(this recipe is easily doubled for baking in a nine by thirteen inch pan)

1 cup unsalted butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 tbsp white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup quick oats
2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 bottle dulce de leche-- I didnt use nearly this amount

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a nine by nine inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Place the melted margarine and sugars in a bowl.
Whisk to combine.
Add the oats, eggs and vanilla,
and stir until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients,
and gently fold it in.
Add the chocolate,
and mix.
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Dollop the dulce de leche over the top, and swirl it as best as you can.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until batter is set. If they are still not ready after that amount of time, turn the oven down to 325 and bake an additional 15 minutes. Refrigerate or freeze for one hour. Cut and serve!

No comments: