Thursday, March 25, 2010

Orange Sour Cream Cake

I've been making a valiant effort to get rid of all the remaining dairy in my fridge and the oil in my pantry. And so I searched and researched all over the internet trying to find a recipe that used sour cream. Somewhere as I was clicking away I stumbled on an Orange Sour Cream cake recipe that not only used sour cream and oil but allowed me to make a dent in the container of oranges that sits in my room and stares at me, waiting to be used. For some reason, it seems that this year I've made orange cake more times than anything, in different variations. I made the ones you can search for on this site, this one and an orange chiffon cake that I never posted. I dont know what it is... Anyway, after making some adjustments to the written recipe, I set off to whip it up and it came together in no time at all. I baked it in my favorite 8 inch springform pan instead of a loaf because I just looove the way round tea cakes look. I didnt garnish or sprinkle this with anything, just served it plain just as it is. Let me tell you, sour cream is baking's best kept secret. Together with the oil, the moist level was beautifully high. And the zest speckled the crumb so nicely. And you know what else? For all of my experimenting, it was a success. Girls who arent even fans of orange liked it. That, my friends, is a success.

Orange Sour Cream Cake
my way

3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
zest of three oranges
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup flour

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch springform pan. Set aside.
Place the sour cream and sugar in a bowl.
Mix well.
Add the eggs, zest and vanilla, and beat until combined.
Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking vigorously to emulsify the mixture.
Dump in all of the dry ingredients,
and whisk until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, around thirty minutes. Serve plain or with a dollop of whipped cream.

No comments: