Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rustic Apple Galette

I finally collected enough apples to bake something substantial with. I had my heart set on making a pie but yesterday when it came to actually putting it together, I was too tired to put together a two crust pie. Thinking about it rationally, it's not much more work, considering you're making a double batch of pastry in one go, but it made perfect sense to me. I opted instead for the pie's more rustic counterpart, the galette, which is slightly less work but equally impressive. I used the galette recipe from Rose's Pie and Pastry Bible and truthfully, it couldnt be simpler. There arent even pictures to document each step because it was so simple. I made one of her crust recipes and chilled it. I sliced Granny Smith apples and tossed them with lemon juice. I rolled out the chilled dough, which was a pleasure to work with, into a large circle, and mounded the apples inside, not bothering to form them into a fancy pattern. I think it's more rustic, anyway. I sprinkled some sugar over the top, topped with some margarine and chilled the galette for a good half hour while my oven preheated. Here is where I think the secret to success lays. The last time I attempted a galette, I didnt chill my assembled tart long enough, which meant the fat didnt have time to thoroughly solidify so when it hit the heat, the fat continued melting before the crust had time to set. This time, I was wise to my mistake and let it chill. The proof is in the picture. I was rewarded with a beautifully set crust that didnt tear or rip or leak apple juices all over. I chose to leave the galette in all its rusticity, which meant omitting the apricot glaze. No one minded. They were just happy I baked. It disappeared literally in minutes, the girls offering profuse compliments, leaving but a few flakes of pastry behind.


Rustic Apple Galette
adapted from the Pie and Pastry Bible

Crust:
214 grams all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
128 grams cold butter or margarine
5 tbsp ice water

Filling:
604 grams sliced Granny Smith apples
2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
50 grams sugar
28 grams butter or margarine

To make the pie crust, place all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined. Rub in the margarine with your fingers until there are pea sized pieces and some larger pieces. Slowly add the ice water, adding just enough so that dough clumps together when squeezed. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap and refrigerate. Place the sliced apples in a bowl. Sprinkle the lemon juice over and toss to coat. Set aside. After your dough has chilled for at least fifteen minutes, remove it from the fridge. Dust a silicone mat with flour and place the dough on the mat. At this point, chill a baking sheet. Roll the dough out to a 14 inch circle. Use a knife to trim off the excess. Remove the baking sheet from the fridge and gently transfer the pastry to the sheet. Heap the apples into the middle of the pastry.
Fold the dough over the apples. Brush the pastry with water and sprinkle the sugar over the filling and over the crust.
Dot the galette with the remaining margarine or butter. At this point, chill the galette for at least a half hour. Towards the end of this time, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Bake the galette for approximately forty minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the fruit is soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Slice and serve!

No comments: