Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Simple Banana Bundt Cake

Never in my life did I think I'd say this, but I think I'm tired of all these fruit related baked goods. I think what I'm saying is, bring on the chocolate! This post is once again banana related and the next is apple. So help me, I don't want to deal with either of them for a long time! Even though my roommate stashed her bananas in the freezer, releasing me from banana recipe limbo, one of my girls next door told me she had ripe ones and do you want to bake with them? I couldn't say no, lest they meet the garbage can, so I accepted, having no idea what I was going to do with them. With a sigh, I flipped through my cookbooks and settled on the SIMPLEST BANANA CAKE RECIPE EVER! Coming from Roland Mesnier's Basic to Beautiful Cakes (a bargain books purchase!), this cake was simple, easy and plain, used oil and was not a duplicate of any recipe I had previously made. Check plus for Roland Mesnier. All you do is mix some dry ingredients together, beat eggs, sugar and oil for five minutes, add everything else and bake! The cake is lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg to let the banana really shine through. To maintain the clarity of the flavor, I declined to add chocolate chips, banana's classic partner. The resulting cake was super moist but...... despite the heavy greasing, it stuck to the pan. That could be because his instructions are to turn the cake out immediately. I think I would wait about five or ten minutes or just bake it in my favorite springform pan. In any case, it was nothing that a little patching up couldnt fix. Besides the girls loved the cake. As always, that's all that matters.

Simple Banana Bundt Cake
from Basic to Beautiful Cakes

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
few grates fresh nutmeg
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large bananas, mashed
powdered sugar

Generously grease a ten cup bundt pan or springform pan. Set aside.
Place all of the dry ingredients in a small bowl or a sheet of parchment. Set aside.
Place the eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for five minutes. Add in the mashed bananas. Add the dry ingredients and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Pour the batter in to the prepared pan and bake for about thirty five minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

No comments: