Sunday, February 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie with Homemade Cookie Crust


I made this pie over a week ago and I'm finally getting to post it now. We all just got back from a three day trip to Eilat, so at least I have that as an excuse. Last year, I made this peanut butter pie for one of our meetings and the response was out of this world. As is my rule, I thought I'd never make this again. But then something came up and I promised my boss that I would make her this pie. I was going to her for Shabbat and I had never blogged it anyway so I decided to make good on my promise. Last year when I made these I  used a tea biscuit bottom but I was not happy with it. This time around I used a homemade cocoa wafer and I think they made a huge difference. I also used some melted chocolate mixture I had in the fridge to coat the crust before filling which I omitted last time. As for the filling, it's pretty straightforward. I used Israeli cream cheese, which is softer but it was fine. I used half the amount of vanilla and Israeli peanut butter which is not as good as Skippy. Please, if you make this, don't skimp on the good stuff. It makes a difference. The pie was  really well received- my boss took it out and called it Hummus Pie to gross her kids out enough from wanting to take any from her but it didnt quite work. In any case, there was plenty of Peanut Butter Pie to go around and lots of happy people, too.

Peanut Butter Pie
adapted from Baked

Crust:
6 ounces chocolate wafers, preferably homemade
1 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Filling:
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 tsp light corn syrup
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy or whipping cream

For the crust, place the cookies in a food processor and process until fine. Add the sugar and margarine and stir until combined. It will be very wet.
Press the mixture into a 9inch pie plate. Refrigerate.
Melt together the chocolate and corn syrup. Spread it over the chilled crust. Chill while you make the filling.
Place all of the ingredients, except for the cream, into a large bowl.
Whisk to blend thoroughly. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold the cream into the peanut butter mixture.
Spoon the mixture into the pie shell and chill until ready to serve.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yum, I just love peanut butter pie. I bet this was eaten up real fast. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog until tomorrow night and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your pie up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html