Monday, April 2, 2012

Whole Wheat Bran Rolls

Last weekend, I got in the mood to bake some bread. It's been a long time since I've made bread that wasn't challah but I figured I'd need some bread for Shabbat and why not. I had a bag of wheat bran laying around and a bit of whole wheat flour chilling out in the fridge so all was ago for some whole grain bready goodness. Flipping through Micky Shemo's first (Israeli) book, I was reminded of this Whole Wheat and Bran Rolls, a recipe that has long been bookmarked in my to-make files. Not needing a full batch, I halved the recipe and taking the lazy way out, made it in my mixer. (After all, what are mixers for if not for the luxury to be lazy sometimes?!) I used instant yeast, soy milk, left out the dough enhancer and used a drop more white flour than whole wheat because I was a tad bit short. A note about the salt, he uses a half tbsp for a small amount of flour and the rolls were borderline salty, so adjust to your liking. My rolls came out to be very sturdy and dense and if you notice, each of them burst, clearly because I didn't let them rise enough. They were hardy and substantial and had a great wheaty taste, but trust me on this one, let them rise undisturbed! Your patience will be rewarded!

Whole Wheat Bran Rolls
adapted from Best of Micky Shemo

25 grams wheat bran
60 ml lukewarm water
1/2 tbsp salt
150 ml soy milk
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
125 grams white flour
125 grams whole wheat flour
wheat bran, sesame seeds, oats, for decoration

The night before baking, combine the wheat bran, water and salt. Stir, cover and let sit out overnight.
The next day, place the bran mixture into the bowl of your mixer with the remaining ingredients and mix on low for about 12 minutes. Cover and allow to rise until doubled. Turn out onto a floured surface and gently deflate the dough. Scale and shape into about eight rolls.
Place on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise until doubled. Really doubled! Don't get impatient like me! Towards the end of baking, preheat the oven to 200. Brush the rolls with water and dust with sesame seeds and additional bran, if desired. Bake for about fifteen minutes until theyre golden brown and ready. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments: