Friday, February 25, 2011

Deep Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins

With these chocolate muffins, I end my baking drought. It seems it has been a couple of weeks since I've gotten around to baking anything. I've had what I call baker's block- I just couldn't find anything inspiring to make. Rather than not make anything, I decided to just bake something and make a dent in the dairy sitting in my fridge while I was at it. These muffins, from the muffin chapter of A Passion for Baking, fit the bill, making use of some Israeli soft cheese, buttermilk and rice milk. I must say that these chocolate muffins are made in the cake style, so they really are more cupcake than muffin, but no one really needs to know that. These came out of the oven just in time for my weekly Tuesday meeting, where they were happily enjoyed. What remained was summarily devoured by the girls during curfew. These muffins are GIGANTIC, but really chocolately and very moist. The chocolate chips added a nice surprise. For a more visual pop, next time I would place chunks of chopped chocolate on top of the panned batter before baking.

Deep Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins
adapted from A Passion for Baking

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, measured and sifted
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened- I used Israeli gvina levanah
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup rice or regular milk
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
Sift together all of the dry ingredients and set aside.
Place the margarine in a bowl and beat until creamed.
Add the cheese,
and beat to blend.
Add the sugars,
and beat to combine.
Add the eggs and vanilla,
and beat to blend.
Add the milks,
and beat to combine. The batter will be very thin at this point.
Add the dry ingredients,
and gently blend. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Using a large disher, dish the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. They will have risen and cracked.
These muffins are quite easy to handle- turn them on their sides to cool and prevent them from steaming themselves. Serve! Feel free to dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with melted chocolate or white chocolate for a more jazzed up treat. 

2 comments:

Isreview said...

"I've had what I call baker's block"
cute way to put it :)

You really picked a delicious looking option to use up some things in your fridge.

I was wondering if you had tried the new self rising chocolate flour from Osem.
I have a new blog where I review new products on the market, here in Israel, and the flour I'm talking about came out a little bit before I started my blog, so I thought most people who would be interesting might have tried it already and its not worth reviewing .
So if you tried it, I'm wondering what you thought of it.

I look forward to seeing what you bake next.
---
Daniela
http://isreview1.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

These look good, and I like your idea of adding chocolate chunks on top. I bet white chocolate chunks would really make these visually pop. Or maybe white, milk, and dark chocolate. Of course, then there would be no disguising that these are cupcakes rather than muffins, but whatever . . .