Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Apricot Ginger Upside Down Cake

 
Months ago, when I was planning what to desserts to bake (I dont even remember what for), I found this upside down cake in Carole Walter's Great Cakes and decided to make it. I even went out and bought a can of apricot halves. I guess at the last second I opted for something else and so the apricots were relegated to the pantry shelf. I finally decided to put them to use (time for something else to take a seat in the pantry!) and having all the ingredients for this cake decided to make it while I was already making the pumpkin cake. This cake is a traditional upside down cake in that you just melt some margarine or butter in a pan, sprinkle with sugar and top with fruit. The batter is then spread over the top and baked. I had a slight mishap turning the cake out, I simply replaced the apricot halves and no one was the wiser. I was a bit nervous about how this cake would be received; my roommate was the first one to try it, and she, lover of all things fruit, declared it to be yummy. Although it finished second to the pumpkin cake, it was finished and enjoyed, and I'm happy that at least some girls tried something new. I think they were honestly astonished to see apricots on a cake. Anyway, some notes. The cake was nice and moist but I was nervous the fruit would make the top of the cake too soggy. Indeed it was very moist, which is to be expected somewhat. Take care to thoroughly drain and dry the apricot halves to prevent any problems. The cake looks quite elegant but would also be at home with some vanilla ice cream.
Apricot Ginger Upside Down Cake
from Great Cakes

Topping:
3 tbsp unsalted butter or margarine
1/4-1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 17 ounce can apricot halves, well drained

Cake:
1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp dark molasses
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 stick unsalted butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350.
Place the margarine in a nine inch pan and place it in the oven to melt. 
Sprinkle the sugar over the margarine.
Arrange the apricot halves in concentric circles over the sugar mixture. Set aside. 
Dissolve the molasses in the hot water. Set aside.

Place all of the dry ingredients in a bowl; whisk and set aside.
Place the margarine and sugar in a large bowl. 
Cream well.
Add the egg and vanilla, 
and beat until blended. The mixture may look curdled at this point; that's okay.
Add a third of the flour mixture, 
alternately with the molasses mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Take care to beat well to incorporate all ingredients and scrape down the sides of the bowl. 
Your batter should look like this. 
Pour the batter over the fruit and spread to the edges of the pan.
Bake around 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
Wait five to ten minutes before unmolding the cake onto a platter. Scrape the sugar out from the pan and spread it back onto the fruit. Enjoy!

2 comments:

alon shevut said...

hey Chavi, any good hamentashen recipes??

Chavi said...

Great user name! Who is this?
There's one on the blog... It's my mom's.. I'm a big fan...