Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gingerbread White Chocolate Blondies

I've had my eye on these for aaaages and I finally got around to making them this week. (Tip-Writing down a list of all the things you want to bake is really effective in getting rid of baker's block! I think it's safe to say that I'm back on my baking game!) I happen to love gingerbread and I think the pairing of the spices with white chocolate is brilliant and not just in terms of the color contrast. Put that into moist, fudgy bar form, and you have a winning combination. (I wonder how it would play out in a scone....) Anyway, I did make a couple of changes based on the reviews on the Martha Stewart website and they were to cut down the butter/margarine. Reviewers complained they were too greasy so I used a bit less than two sticks rather than two and a half. Also, I baked them in a 9x13 pan for thicker blondies, rather than in an 11x7 pan for a thin blondie, as pictured on the site. These cookies were a hit with the girls! I'm always very surprised when they taste things other than chocolate. They were a bit wary of them at first- many didnt even know what gingerbread was! (Don't worry, I educated them fast!) After they got passed the name, they tasted and loved them. The few pieces that were left were finished the next morning by my roommates, who werent dairy at the time of baking. They subsequently declared them very delicious. :)
Gingerbread White Chocolate Blondies
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart Cookies

2 3/4 cups plus 1 tbsp flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup margarine
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
2 eggs plus 1 yolk
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup molasses
white chocolate chunks

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment. Grease and set aside.
Place all of the dry ingredients into a small bowl. Whisk and set aside. 
Place the margarine and sugars in a large bowl. 
Beat until well creamed.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and taking care to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
My batter.
Add the vanilla and molasses,
and beat to blend.
Add the dry ingredients and beat to combine.
Dump in the chocolate chunks,
and stir.
Spread into the prepared pan. Dont worry if it's not smooth, it'll even itself out.
Bake for about 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Cut and serve. Love those white chocolate chunks peeking out!

No comments: