Thursday, September 4, 2008

Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies

Ever put a cookie in your mouth that melted on your tongue yet was simultaneously crisp? Softly crunchy? Alright, I know I sound like a walking oxymoron but I am simply loving these cookies. These Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies are so darn good and addictive. They have that lightly sweet orange and deliciously buttery flavor. For some reason they are very reminiscent of cookies that I've had as a child, minus the orange. The recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Cookies, a book that I seem to keep returning to.. I have a couple more cookies to bake from there before it takes a backseat on my shelf. A few things I should say; I'm not sure that the cornmeal rolled onto the sides really adds anything; perhaps my cornmeal wasn't coarse enough. Next time I will either leave it out or switch it up as well as trying to swap a different citrus zest for the orange...Grapefruit sounds bold. Secondly, I made two logs and froze one for future use. The dough is soft-ish but malleable when chilled. These are a wonderful cookie to be eaten beside tea or coffee, or just because they're lying around. They're simple and delicious, but simply delicious.

Citrus Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies
from Martha Stewart's Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon coarse salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Place the butter and powdered sugar into the bowl of your mixer.

Cream until pale yellow and fluffy.

Add the orange zest and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.


Mix in the salt, 2 tablespoons cornmeal and flour.

The resulting dough.


Roll out the dough into logs on parchment paper and place in the freezer to solidify. I placed my log into a paper towel holder to maintain the shape. I didn't have any empty holders. ;)
When they are chilled, remove from the freezer and roll in cornmeal to coat.
Slice and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for around 30 minutes until pale golden. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

No comments: