Friday, August 19, 2011

All in the Pan Chocolate Cake

For lunch last weekend, I had it in my head that I wanted to make chocolate cake. I fondly remember my mother's Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cake from my childhood and I wanted to make it but then I recalled a fast and unique recipe for chocolate cake from In the Sweet Kitchen. This cake is one of those old timers where all of the ingredients are dumped into a pan and stirred directly in it. Easy peasy cleanup. And, this recipe has no egg in it, making it perfect for vegans. The frosting does involve some sort of mixer but takes no time at all. This was a really successful dessert-- nothing left but a few crumbs. I think I should make a point of making homey cakes like these more often. They're down home, delicious, and non-threatening (nothing wacky in them!) to the average person. I'll just have to remember that the next time I plan a dessert. If you're rushed or just want to try something easy and fun, give it a shot. The recipe calls for regular vinegar but I used red wine as that's what I had and it turned out perfectly.
All in the Pan Chocolate Cake
adapted from In the Sweet Kitchen

Cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup natural cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cool water

Frosting:
1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp soy milk or water
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350. 
Place all of the dry ingredients into an 8x8 inch pan.
Whisk thoroughly to blend.
Make three indentations in the dry ingredients.
Pour the oil into one, the vinegar into another and the vanilla into a third.
Pour the water over the whole thing.
Whisk to mix thoroughly. Take care to moisten everything but try not to overbeat.
Bake until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
For the frosting, place the margarine and half the sugar in the bowl of your mixer and cream to blend.
Add the remaining sugar and cocoa and beat.
Add the vanilla and the milk a bit at a time, beating to make a spreadable frosting.
Frost and serve!

No comments: