Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Birthday....and A Cake!

Happy birthday! This Friday, my sweet little niece, M, turned two years old! To celebrate, my parents and I spent the weekend with my parents, sisters, brother-in-law and other nieces at her home in Monsey. As is tradition with me, I made the birthday cake. In previous years, I decorated Elmo, Care Bears and Ariel cakes to celebrate. This year, I chose to make Strawberry Shortcake. She's just so cute! I'm not sure that M really appreciated it, but maybe she'll remember some years down the road. In any case, for me, it's practice, something that I love to do, and something I love doing for my yummy nieces. The look on her face was worth the pink stains on my hands and the digging through the garbage for missing tips. That's love. The compliments don't hurt either ;). The recipe is for a classic yellow cake, courtesy of Wilton, as is the buttercream frosting. Easy, reliable, and crowd pleasing. What more could you ask for?

Basic Yellow Cake
from the Wilton site

3 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine (I used margarine)
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk (I used rice milk)

Preheat the oven to 350. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Place the margarine in the bowl of your mixer.


Cream until light and fluffy.
Add the vanilla and eggs, one a time, mixing thoroughly to combine.


Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk and mix to combine.

This is what the resulting batter should look like.

Have your pan greased and ready to go. Grease liberally. And I do mean liberally.


The batter is in the pan,

and baked to golden perfection.


The cupcake batter.
Lots of cupcakes!


Here is Strawberry Shortcake almost complete. I gave her a nose and finished her shirt. Not perfect, but it made alot of people very happy.

No comments: