Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dark Fudge Bundt Cake

I love, love Shabbat! It's time of the week that G-d commands us to refrain from work of any sort and just appreciate the day and our families. That means, for Orthodox Jews, no telephone, no computer, no television. It is truly a blessing! For me, it also means lovingly preparing for the meals, setting the table and doing what else needs to be done. It's also the time that I get to bake and not be scolded by my dad for making a mess. Besides for challot, which you by now know is my favorite thing ever to bake, I love to make dessert. When it's just four us, my parents and my sister and me, I can't really justify making a large dessert. All it takes is one guest and I start breaking out measuring cups and poring over the cookbooks. That's what I started doing when I heard that my sister's best friend S, who is practically family, was coming over. In her honor, I decided to make something chocolately. I decided on Dark Fudge Bundt Cake, a recipe from Marcy Goldman's A Passion for Baking, the baking book I bought for myself, my mother and three of my sisters. A book so enticing I was suckered into buying it that many times over. The cake is a one bowl-er so it's easy to put together but it features a simple element that I had never seen before that makes such a difference. Namely, melting chocolate chips over the bottom of the hot cake and then chilling it so it develops a hard crust. When turned over and sliced, it makes for the nicest chocolatey surprise! Brilliant! While it isn't as fudgy as I had hoped it was still delicious and a certain keeper! This is the type of dessert I would make again to bring for dessert to a meal that friends and I would have in Israel. Casual but delicious.

Dark Fudge Bundt Cake
from Marcy Goldman's A Passion for Baking

1 3/4 cups white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine (melted)
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sifted cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups warm coffee
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350.

Generously grease a bundt cake. And I do mean generously. You wouldn't want the cake to go and get stuck or anything.... not too pleasant.


Place the margarine in a microwave safe bowl and zap


until melted.
Add both of the sugars,
and whisk until smooth.

Add the eggs and vanilla,


whisk to combine thoroughly.

Add all of the dry ingredients,

and whisk until mostly smooth.

Add the warm coffee and blend well to make a smooth batter.

Pour the batter into your greased bundt pan.

Bake until a cake tester inserted comes out clean, around 60-72 minutes.

Immediately sprinkle the top of the hot cake with the chocolate chips.

Allow the chocolate to melt slightly and then begin to spread it with a spoon until nicely smoothed over. Place the cake in the refrigerator to set up. Remove from the refrigerator when you're ready to serve.


Turn the cake out onto a serving plate and dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jake's Mom said...

I am going to try the chips on the bottom trick! It has been 5+ years since you posted this. Thank you!