Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chavi's Golden Cookies

This cookie is part two of Operation Empty Pantry. I had a can of Lyle's Golden Syrup (delicious eaten right off the spoon!) and no recipe to go along with it. I did some research on their website and various other places, but couldn't manage to find any recipes that matched the rest of my available ingredients. Not so promising until I decided to take matters into my own hands. I have a trusted molasses based cookie that is made with oil so using that as a base I decided to revamp the recipe. The result is completely new and is proudly now my own. I was a bit nervous that the cookies would fail after the first bake- they were unattractive and melted in places, although the flavor was fantastic- somewhere between caramel and vanilla with a hint of salt. Yum! I mentally reviewed my cookie knowledge and decided that a rest period in the fridge would firm up the dough and make them bake perfectly. And right I was. I was in heaven with these and couldn't stop munching. Pulling them from the oven while they are only slighly golden enables a chewy, moist inside and saves from overcaramelization AKA burning.

Chavi's Golden Cookies

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp salt
dash cinnamon
splash vanilla
1 2/3 cups flourPlace all of the ingredients except for the flour in a bowl,and whisk to combine.
Add the flour and whisk to combine. Place the batter in the fridge for about a half hour to firm up. Preheat the oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Pinch off pieces of dough and roll into balls. Place on the sheets. Bake until the cookies have flattened and are lightly golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
This was the first batch- unattractive but delicious. This is the result of the chilled dough- winners all the way!

No comments: