Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Shabbat Dessert Roundup Part 2: Chocolate Bundt

I’ve taken to making a backup dessert when I am nervous that my Plan A will fail. Considering how the plum galette almost turned out, I’m glad I did. Uncertain about how, fruit (Gasp) would be received, I opted to make a Chocolate Bundt Cake just in case. Simple and easy to put together, this Chocolate cake is really the old Hellman’s Chocolate Cake , a cake that contains, that’s right, mayonnaise—which is just eggs and oil, if you think about it- for added moistness. The cake did turn out light and chocolatey and supremely moist, just like I like it. Baked in my personal favorite, the design on the fly pan , the bundt, dessert was ready as soon as the cake was turned out. You can definitely glaze the cake, or just simply dust with powdered sugar and it makes a lovely accompaniment to tea or coffee. I’m glad that I tested it and it certainly does turn out an excellent cake, but I most likely will make this only if I have mayonnaise that I need to get rid of, as the case was this past weekend. Otherwise I’ll stick with my mom’s tried and true recipe. But that’s for a later post.

Chocolate Bundt Cake
from Hellman's

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
1-2/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mayonnaise
1-1/3 cups water

Preheat the oven to 350. Thoroughly grease a bundt pan or two nine inch pans. Set aside.
Place the flour, cocoa, and leavener in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.Make a well in the mixture, and add the eggs,mayonnaise,and sugar,whisking to combine. Take care not to overmix.Pour the hot water over the batter,and mix thoroughly to combine. The batter will be loose. Pour the batter into the greased pan and place in the oven. Bake for around 40 minutes for the bundt, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. When the cake is completely cool, turn it out of its pan onto a wire rack. Move to a serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar or cocoa or glaze if desired.

No comments: