Friday, June 4, 2010

Tea Biscuit Buttercrunch

Marcy Goldman's famous buttercrunch recipe has received loads of rave reviews so when I was reminded of it while scanning through her most recent book, I decided to make it. The only problem was that I didnt have matzah or saltines. But I did have tea biscuits that I needed to use and so, tea biscuit buttercrunch was born. Of course, there werent that many left but enough to make a 9x13 pan. This recipe couldnt be easier- boil sugar and butter, pour over the tea biscuits, pour over and bake. Sprinkle chopped chocolate over and allow to melt. I used one bar of 60 percent and one bar of bittersweet chocolate. The tea biscuits got nice and toasty and the sugar nice and caramelized. When the girls asked what it was, I didnt quite know how to respond so all I said was, taste it. They did. The unanimous response was, this is really good. And that is how the tea biscuit buttercrunch was finished. Allowing the chocolate to set completely helps to handle and eat more cleanly. Because I used the tea biscuits, the pieces broke into large rectangular pieces. Using matzah will allow you to break into more shard like pieces.

Tea Biscuit Buttercrunch
slightly adapted from A Passion for Baking

25 vanilla tea biscuits
1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
7 ounces chocolate

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment.
Line the pan with the tea biscuits, breaking them to fit if necessary.
In a saucepan, place the butter and sugar.
Stir until melted, bring to a boil and cook for two minutes.
Working quickly, pour the sugar mixture over the tea biscuits and spread as evenly as you can. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325 and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Meanwhile chop your chocolate.
Here is the baked product.
Sprinkle the chopped chocolate evenly over the baked sugar.
Give the chocolate a few minutes to soften and spread with an offset spatula. Break into pieces once set.

1 comment:

Tzivia said...

I make these all the time, not with matzah or saltines but with graham wafers. Delicious!!! I have made both dairy and pareve, but we MUCH prefer the dairy.