Friday, July 31, 2009

Shabbat Dessert Roundup Part 3: Chocolate Chocolate Roulade

It's late, but I'm still awake. But this time it's my fault, really. Today was the day Jews around the world commemorated the destruction of the temple and we all fasted. Truth be told, there's not really much to be done, and due to the weakness and hunger and thirst and tiredness, I slept a lot. Therefore, I am not sleeping right now. And I knew what I was getting myself into! So to kill some time before I attempt sleep, or a rest, I'm posting the last dessert from last weekend, before the new roundup has to go up. This is the Chocolate Chocolate Roulade that I had planned to make for my Black and White Shabbat. Only, I never brought it to the meal because I felt that, to say the least, it wasn't aesthetically pleasing. When my dinner host, who's a boy heard this, he flipped out. It seems they truly don't care about what the food they eat looks like. But I do. So it didnt get served and instead I brought the Gingerbread Bundt. And saved the Chocolate Roulade for snack time with my friends. Which is truly a shame. Because it was awesome. I'm so stubborn sometimes when it comes to these things. But even I must admit. It was good. Really good. My friends and I had slices of it as the urge hit, straight from the freezer nice and cold. The reason why I couldnt serve it? Well, the heat made the cake moist and sticky as it cooled and melted the cream before I could roll the whole thing up. It was one mess best eaten with eyes closed. But once in the freezer no one was really the wiser. The cake recipe comes from King Arthur Flour's site and the cream was the cream used to fill the Chocolate Chocolate Tart.

Chocolate Cake
adapted from the KAF site

4 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon chocolate extract
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup dutch-process cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 tablespoons milk or cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment. Set aside.

In a bowl, place the four eggs.
Beat until foamy.Add the sugar and extracts and beat until light and thickened.Add the dry ingredients and gently mix to combine.Add the oil and milk,and gently fold in to make a uniform batter.Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes.Remove from the oven. Cool for two minutes. Dust the cake with powdered sugar. Roll up the cake using the parchment and set aside to cool completely. When ready to fill, unroll the cake. Mine shrunk a bit. Dollop the cream onto the cake,and spread evenly all over. Roll up the cake. Mine was beginning to crack and leak out so I had to cut it in half. I thought it would be helpful to cover it with remaining cream, but you can imagine what that looked like. But it's all gone now and none of it was wasted in the end. Sorry boys!

1 comment: