Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Shabbat Dessert Roundup Part 2: Almond Cake

Three exams down, two to go. Today I had my third Bible final, Bible being my major, Psalms being the topic of the exam. I hope I did well, although it's hard to tell, and I prefer not to dwell on exams when theyre over.. what's done is done anyway, right? Now that I finished that exam, I'm off for a bit before I have to prepare for my next exam and that means... I finally get to relax and update here as I please. So I bring you the second of my dessert posts which is this Almond (Tea) Cake from Alice Medrich's Pure Dessert. I should really just call this Tea Cake as it wasn't so strongly almond flavored, but of course that's my fault as I didn't have almond extract. I mean, what was I thinking? There was also the option to make an almond crusted cake, which of course I didnt do, but next time I promise to do. And I will make this again because not only did it receive rave reviews (S even swore this cake "changed her life") it was so easy to make- it whips up in just a few minutes in the food processor. Although this cake is simple and unassuming, it is deliciously moist and tender, without being too sweet. Simply dust with powdered sugar and serve with tea or coffee.

Almond Cake
adapted from Pure Dessert

3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp unblanched or blanched whole almonds
1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
3 large eggs
8 tbsp butter or margarine, cut into chunks and slightly softened
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
Powdered sugar


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the sides of an 8 inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.Place the nuts, sugar, salt and extract in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the nuts are finely ground.

All at once, add the eggs, margarine and pulse to blend thoroughly.Add the flour and leavener and pulse to combine.Voila! The batter is all done! Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. As you know, my oven cooks really hot, so I had to tent the top with foil and it still got pretty dark. Nothing that some powdered sugar wont hide though. Bon Appetit!

No comments: