Monday, July 6, 2009

Faux-Reos

It can be really difficult to make aliyah (become a citizen of Israel) alone so if you don't have family here, it's really important to have some sort of "adoptive" family- a place where you can always go and are always welcome for Shabbat and for anything else. Luckily, I have siblings who live here, but I also have an "adoptive" family who I have known for almost three years. I go there often for Shabbat and I have come to know their kids and community really well. Their home has literally become my home. So when they decided they wanted to have a day just for themselves without the kids, they called me to come and babysit for their six children. Was I daunted? Honestly, no, because I've done it before and somehow I always survive. Needless to say, it was an exhausting experience, I now know what it's like to be a single mother! So I have tremendous appreciation for all the mothers out there. In any case, whenever I'm at their home, I always use it as an opportunity to bake. Cookies, cake, whatever. The Mrs. is always more than delighted. So while she was gone, I decided to make these Faux-reos with the kids, as I had made whoopie pies on a previous stay and the kids were requesting them again. But you know me, have to try something different so I went for these. This recipe is taken from KAF and can be found here. I made the recipe as called for but I ran out of alot of ingredients for the filling so just whipped up whatever I had on hand to make the filling. Consequently, the filling was a bit bland so next time, I hope to have all the ingredients on hand. And there will be a next time with these because these are so fun to make and easy and sooo rich. They obviously do not taste exactly like that other cookie, but they definitely have similarities. As one of the kids so beautifully said, "These taste like Oreos, only better". I melted on the spot. Made with love and a homemade touch, these are so much better.

Faux-reos
Cookies:
1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 large egg
1 tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup dutch process cocoa

Preheat the oven to 325. Line baking sheets with parchment of silpat. In a mixing bowl, place the butter or margarine, sugar and espresso.

Cream until light and fluffy.Add the egg, water and vanilla,and beat until smooth.Add the cocoa and flour,and beat until incorporated.Using a cookie scoop, drop batter onto cookie sheets. Flatten down the cookies. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Fill as desired- be creative with your fillings and flavorings! Calling my name... Lots of sandwiches to go around!

No comments: