Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Barley Cakes

In the vein of having breakfast for dinner, again, (I'm a struggling university student, what do you want from my life?!) I made these Barley Cakes, a recipe that comes to you from my trust Whole Grain Companion. This recipe is sadly hidden at the back of the book so that if I hadnt just been researching barley, I wouldnt have found them. Lesson learned: research barley in the back of the cookbook and you'll be rewarded with these yummy and addictive pancakes. Seriously, I couldnt stop eating these. They have the delicate flavor of orange and honey. These flavors are really nice together and contribute a lovely sweetness. Like all pancakes, they are simple to put together and cook beautifully. When I say they cook beautifully, I mean to say that they literally get this gorgeous mahogany color on them with a lovely yellow hiding inside. I know I encourage you to make everything I post up here, but these are actually good for you!

Barley Cakes
adapted from KAF Whole Grain Baking

3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp honey
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups barley flour
2 tsp baking powder

In a large bowl, place all of the wet ingredients.

Whisk really well to combine. I tend to get overzealous and create bubbles. I looove bubbles..

Add the barley flour and salt,and blend. Let the batter rest for fifteen minutes. At this point, preheat your griddle or your skillet. When you're ready to cook the pancakes, add the baking powder to the batter, and blend.

Drop the batter by quarter cup-fuls, a muffin scoop works well here, and cook two minutes or until bubbles being to form. The book says you wont get bubbles, but I got bubbles!! Flip them over and cook on the other side. See that gorgeous color! These are so good that no one will be able to tell that what theyre eating is good for them. Serve warm with some honey or syrup.

1 comment:

Leah said...

wow, these look beautiful! i love pancakes, what a great idea. im going to try them out. where do you get barley flour from?